Chandler, AZ asked in Civil Litigation, Collections, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Arizona

Q: If a creditor gets a judgment against garnishee, and the garnishee pays that in full, Can they then collect from Debt?

Small Claim/ Civil Garnishment: If a creditor gets a judgment against a garnishee for failure to comply (not filing a garnishee answer), and the garnishee pays judgment in full, Can the garnishee then go after the Debtor for these funds?

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: It's possible. The proper thing to do when paying off a Court-ordered debt is to have the judgment creditor sign a Satisfaction of Judgment and file it with the Court.

That said, if you have a record you made the payment, you should notify the Court right away that you have paid it and provide proof and ask the Court to deem the judgment satisfied.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.