Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: Is there anything I can do

I received a forfeiture notice today my land contract do not have a forfeiture clause does she have to foreclose

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you only have a Contract for a Deed, then it is a Lease with Option to Purchase. No Foreclosure is involved, but usually an Eviction proceeding and they keep your paid rent. Hire a competent MI attorney quickly to fight loss of possession, and possibly make a claim in Equity or Breach of Contract, etc.

1 user found this answer helpful

David Soble
David Soble
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: When it concerns a Michigan land contract, default remedies must be spelled out in the provisions of the agreement. The legal language must give the seller the ability to proceed with a forfeiture, otherwise, the seller will need to proceed with other remedies. See more about land contracts at:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.