Norman, OK asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: My husband passed away a month ago and his family is not allowing me to go to my house. Can they make me leave?

They also closed his bank account after telling me that I couldnt because it was going to probate which it did not. My inlaws live directly behind us so they claim that I cant be on family land. We have a mortage through Choctaw Nation as Iam a tribal member but the deed is in his name only. Weve been married for 15 years before he passed. They are portraying like Ive never lived there and havent been with my husband. Weve been together for 24 years so its been real hard for me

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is hard enough by itself but then to have family issues on top of that makes it worse. Based on the limited amount of information you gave you need to contact an attorney as soon as feasible because you most likely have more rights than they are claiming you have.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.