Atlanta, GA asked in Consumer Law for North Carolina

Q: Can I make Walmart pay for the repairs to my car?

On 07/06/22 my check engine light came on on the way to work. After work I went AutoZone to get the code read it said it was an evap leak I then went to Walmart for an oil change after the oil change my cars oil pressure was low they told me it was because they didn’t reset the oil change settings they then came back to my car and tried to reset it after about 10mins they said they didn’t know why it wouldn’t reset so I took my car to the dealership to have them look at and they read the engine code and their was a new problem with the oil pressure and it’s not related to the evap leak I have all of the recipes and quotes for everything

Update: after having the dealership look at my car they found that the wrong oil filter was placed on my car by walmart causing the low oil pressure I’ve already paid for everything

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can try, but it is very unlikely Walmart will agree to pay the cost soon enough to get your car repaired - even if they agree. You will have to pay for the repairs yourself and then seek reimburement from them. The reason is because it is not crystal clear that WalMart is responsible. Your dealership will have to give an opinion that Walmart did something wrong which caused the problem. Just because things happen in a certain order does not mean that Walmart was negligent, especially when there was something wrong with the car before the oil change. Maybe Auto Zone's code reader wasn't accurate. Walmart wasn't asked to test the oil pressure before they changed the oil, this problem may have existed before the oil change. You have a duty to mitigate your damages for loss of use of the car, so you need to get it repaired as soon as possible and that includes paying for the repairs yourself. Walmart is also notorious for denying liability for anything. Lastly, even if their negogence contributed to the problem, if you were even 1% at fault in North Carolina, you can't recover anything for negligence. I hope this perspective helps you out.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.