Salem, MA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Massachusetts

Q: I let my 17 year old son go from Massachusetts to North Carolina to visit his father his father agreed to bring him home

now his father is telling me he's no longer going to let him come home what are my rights I've been raising him for the last 17 years and his father owes over $100,000 in child support in Massachusetts what can I do to get my son back legally?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you are the primary custodial parent he is in Contempt and a Contempt Complaint should be filed in the Court where your custodial orders were established ASAP with a Motion and Affidavit for Emergency hearing to have the child brought back to Massachusetts also potentially has also violated kidnapping laws for which contact to the police where the child is currently is a starting point. You should consider hiring counsel as your situation with arrears is also significant. Was the Massachusetts DOR involved?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.