Irvine, CA asked in Family Law, Elder Law, Probate and White Collar Crime for California

Q: My mother is 93 and suffers from dementia.i'm 75 and six (6) years ago I completed a 30 plus year prison sentence.

I'm the oldest sibling, and I have three (3) brothers and one (1) sister. Approximately 10 years ago my Mother gave my sister what I believe is a limited power of attorney to manage her property and assets. I was born in Dayton, Ohio. A few years after authorizing the above-noted power of attorney, my Mother began to exhibit advanced alzheimer's disease.

My brothers believe that my sister (Janice) has commingled and used Moma's money inappropriately (Illegally).

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: A fiduciary litigation attorney can help you attempt to get someone else appointed as conservator for your mother, and the conservator can sue your sister to get stolen money and assets back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.