Enfield, CT asked in Child Custody for Connecticut

Q: I have sole legal/physical custody of my child. Can I relocate to another country with her without modifying agreement?

I have sole custody of my 12 yo daughter. My ex has visitation on Sun. and 2 nights a week for dinner. Other visitation to be agreed upon. He has not followed the schedule once in 8 years. My daughter has not seen her father since Feb. nor had a phone call from him in several months. I am recently engaged. We have been together for 4 years. He works/lives in the US, but is from another country, which is where we hope to move to next year. My child and I were granted residency visa's and I also own a home in that country with my fiance. We have very little family on my side here and the family on her father's side has nothing to do with her. My child has been to this country twice and loves it.

I emailed my ex/sent cert letter with return receipt to let him know of plans. I have not had a response. I even offered to work out an agreement with child support to be used for her to travel back to visit him twice a year. No response. Do I need to go to court if I have sole leg/phy custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You really should file a motion with the court and have him served. He may not even show up for the hearing and the court will probably grant your request based upon the facts as you have stated. Technically, you would be in violation of the order for visitation if you moved without a court order, even though nothing would probably happen. It's always best to play by the rules.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.