Melrose Park, IL asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Federal Crimes for Illinois

Q: I would like to file a civil lawsuit against someone for money that was borrowed, fraud, and emotional distress.

I am from Illinois but the individual has moved to New York. The amount is over $10,000. I am currently in litigation with this person for a different matter. If I file a civil suit, would I be able to serve him during our upcoming family court hearing (it's via Zoom)? We both have attorneys. I have not yet consulted with my attorney in detail as I want them to focus on the current family court matter. My attorney does feel it's a good idea to sue the other party but does not practice in the civil law area.

Would I be able to serve his attorney?

He has yet to provide an accurate physical address but has provided an email address on file where he has been served in the past.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You are represented by a licensed counsel and it would be improper to suggest any course of action remotely without any case familiarity or case review by anyone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.