Wethersfield, CT asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: During separation, Is my soon to be ex able to cash/deposit the proceeds from the sale of our home without my consent.

My wife of 30 years and I are getting a divorce. Mediation broke down and we are currently selling our house. She wants more than 50%. Without a mediation agreement in place, is she able to deposit or cash the check without my signature? I live out of state? I hope to have a mediation agreement in place but she is fighting me on this since she says it was her childhood home and deserves more... any suggestions on stopping the check until we work this out? Neither of us have filed at this point, we wanted an agreement in place before doing so. what are my options when she's not cooperating?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You and wife were living in Massachusetts correct? This is what I am assuming. Are you on the Deed? If there is no divorce complaint on file with the Probate Court, the closing attorney would make the check payable to the title holder. Your filing and serving a divorce complaint and summons on your spouse would have the effect of stopping any sale action as the automatic restraining order stated in the divorce summons provides, without at least a partial agreement to hold funds in escrow pending the parties' agreement or Court order or Judgment. You need counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.