Amarillo, TX asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: What are the steps to take for complaint of ineffective council?

My LO was sentenced to 20 years for drug charges, 841 A & B and is ccurrently serving time in FCI Berlin, NH. He says he was inadequatly represented by his lawyer due to the prosecutor making aquistions that the defense lawyer was also involved with him in dealing drugs and that instead of representing my LO he was back pedaling to keep himself out of trouble and did little to represent my LO. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: I had trouble understanding some of your question and what LO means.

The basic standard for making a claim that your attorney was ineffective is explained in the Strickland vs. Washington, decision of the US Supreme Court. It has also been recognized as the law in Texas and every other state in the US.

The problem with this type of claim is that you only get ONE CHANCE to make this type of a claim.

Be sure to get a lawyer who has experience in this type of a claim as you must get it right the first time.

I am available for more information.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.