Canandaigua, NY asked in Intellectual Property and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: Hello, My mother died in 1987 and owned two properties prior to death. One in Corning, NY and the other lake property

I have not seen the Will but according to court documents, the property was named the Mourhess Family Trust and my brother was named as the Trustee. Before my mother died (she was in ill health) she sold both properties to my brother for $1 total, without me knowing about it. After she died, my brother refuses to speak to me and has broken off all contact. (Personally, I believe he played a role in her death). I have spoken to 3 attorneys since and they all told me that since he (Michael) was named as the Trustee, there is nothing I can do.

My question is: is there anything that I can do? He sold the house but the lake property is very valuable.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: From 1987? No there is nothing you can do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.