Montgomery Village, MD asked in Estate Planning, Health Care Law and Elder Law for Maryland

Q: For medicaid payments for my dad, can my disability be used shelter his savings? Where can I find written info?

My dad's in his late 80's in NY. If he needs medicaid to pay his care, can my disability (I'm on SSDI), age 60 in MD) be used to pass his savings to me, so our family can keep it? Is it just an exemption for a house or for other assets too?

Where can I find the gov'ts written rules on this to verify? Also to learn some general ideas of how it works to set it up when needed.


This is what I'm thinking of, "No, a penalty period will not be imposed if the asset is transferred to an individual’s child who is documented as disabled per SS standards." from



1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Your father would need to seek out an elder care lawyer to map out a strategy to protect his assets from counting towards Medicaid eligibility. Your disability is irrelevant and will not shelter his assets. He would need to get his assets out of his name five years before applying for Medicaid if he wants to put them out of reach. There are strategies available but it takes careful planning and a full analysis of his assets and present and future anticipated needs.

Maxwell White agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.