Montgomery, TX asked in Employment Law for Texas

Q: I am a supervisor for a hwy construction comp. Been with them for over 35. Can the make me pay for an accident by one my

Employee's? Let me say never had any kind of accident in my job. Must add I was told you pay for this out of your own pocket or your fired. I was sent an email say the damage was $15,000. I'm 70yrs old I don't need this. Could anyone please guide to some options. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Unless you have a written employment agreement for a specific term of employment, your employer most likely can terminate you because one of the subordinates you are responsible to supervise caused an accident. However, legally, as an employee, your employer cannot successfully sue you for such damages. All they can do is terminate your employment.

If you are an independent contractor as opposed to being an employee, the company that hired you can sue you for the acts or omissions of your own employee or for your negligent supervision of their employee. In this event, you should immediately notify your CGL insurance company.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.