Winter Haven, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Is there a way to establish legal rules on paper but not through the whole process? Maybe like with a mediator or?

My daughters father and I are not married and have never been married. I moved to Florida from Georgia and don’t have money to switch my car and everything over to Florida. So I have an out of state license. My child’s dad always wants me to drive and bring her to him and we have disagreements on meeting dates and times. He’s not on child support, but always asks for money from my tax refund for our daughter. He lives in SC. I’d like for him to come get her since he wants her so bad and show some initiative and to not ask me for my refund money. I don’t have any Florida identification so am I not able to file for anything?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If yo have never been married then you as the mother have total control of the situation. If you have lived in Florida for more than six months then you can file for paternity here, with or without a drivers license. You just have to prove that you have lived here and plan to continue living here. You can also do nothing (since you are in control) and make the father go to court. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.