Taylorsville, NC asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Collections for North Carolina

Q: I am a contractor in Hickory/Lenoir area who was on last day completing 2nd remodeling project for homeowner.

On final day they assaulted us verbally and threatened myself, due to repeated material delays and damaged product and illness late winter. We called 911 and 2 Deputies arrived. We removed tools/equipment from that job, leaving only couple last items on job for homeowner to install themselves. Our business lawyer told us to issue Demand for Payment for final balance of that contract. Deputy instructed me to go to Magistrates office and file charges which I did. Now 8 months later, repeated court delays by DA pushing issue back, recently I now was given an inner-office Criminal Summons (?) at recent hearing which yet again, Defendant never showed, and told a new hearing was set for Sept. 12th. This summons states "Holding homeowner hostage" and "Not completing job that was paid for"...??? NONE of this makes sense and I never had anything like this toxic situation happen to me and hundreds of satisfied customers & referrals in this region. What do we do? I recently had a heart attack.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you received a criminal summons, hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP. Your business lawyer should be able to refer you to one in your area. Its a he said she said situation, and if this person who never shows up doesn't show up at the hearing, the criminal attorney should be able to get the case dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.