South Jordan, UT asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for New York

Q: Can I sue a city or a state for a civil rights violation, or a prosecutor?

The case is a minor traffic accident. The prosecutor filed charges based on here say. They know the witness, keeps lying to everyone about what happened, and have done nothing. And the prosecutor, attached somebody else’s juvenile record to my file. Because we’re both Hispanic, and have the same first name. The other guy is from Texas. And has a different personal info. I can verify I was attending high school, in another state during the time this other individual committed his crimes. She also omitted the adult record and the Texas I’d. The police reports. And her evidence contain different ages and date of births and conflicting statements. But nothing is being done about it. Am I supposed to just let them prosecute me because I’m Hispanic and they want to?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Arbeit
Michael Arbeit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Freeport, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: What county and courthouse is the case pending at? What are you being charged with? Consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney for proper representation immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.