Miami, OK asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Oklahoma

Q: Should a civil suit against the county the criminal offences were committed in be filed after the criminal case I'd ove

IF someone is shot fleeing the police and never fired a round can the cops say he fired at the cops to justify shooting him?

1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You ask two questions here. The first question regards when a civil suit should be filed (if a criminal case is pending). The answer to that question is you should not wait to talk to a civil attorney about proceeding with a civil suit until the criminal case is closed. There are too many pitfalls - especially when trying to sue a government entity or employee. The timing is extremely important, and you could be barred from obtaining any relief if deadlines are missed. Talk to a civil attorney and go with the advice provided by whatever attorney you hire.

The second question is a little harder to answer. If evidence was collected properly, it would be difficult (and unlikely) that the police would make up facts about someone firing a weapon if it never occurred. However, law enforcement officers can be justified in shooting a fleeing suspect in situations in which the fleeing suspect did not actually fire a weapon at the officers. These are fact specific cases that require an analysis by an attorney to advise you on proceeding.

You should contact and hire a civil attorney and you can ask him/her both of your questions above.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.