Dorchester, MA asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: Are the spouses of the divorce permitted to cancel the case prior to the final trial or select the broker?

In this case, both lawyers decided to sell the property (house), and select the broker. They agreed to give the spouses 5% of the house value to get an apartment and keep the remainder in escrow until the case is finalized because the spouses disagree on the percentage split. Will the escrow account accrue interest and will the spouses be charged a fee for the escrow service? Can the case be postponed if one of the spouses is unemployed and would be unable to pay the expenses of an apartment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You would need to notify your counsel that this deal may not be viable due to the lack of income for an apartment and you have not stated what State you are in so the laws of that State are applicable with regard to child support and alimony.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.