Asked in Traffic Tickets for South Carolina

Q: If the officer who gave me a traffic ticket quits before the trial date can they send a different officer to prosecute?

I was pulled for rolling through a stop sign. The officer has quit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: The State/prosecution must prove its case with competent evidence ---in this case, it must prove via testimony that you are the one who committed a traffic infraction. Unless the different officer can testify to this, then the different officer does not provide any help. That said, the State/prosecution can still possibly subpoena the officer who quit and/or any persons who might have witnessed the incident you are accused---if they show up and testify, then the State/prosecution can prove its case. You should hire a traffic ticket attorney to represent you and protect your rights. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.