Newbury Park, CA asked in Car Accidents for California

Q: A woman accused me of hitting her car and then wouldn’t exchange info with me

As I was backing out of a space, a lady tapped on my window and yelled at me to be more careful because I “bumped” her car. I didn’t recall hitting her and told her so, but I offered to look at my dash cam give my info to her and she changed her story to I almost bumped her and wouldn’t take my info. I told her if she was going to accuse me of hitting her car then I insisted she take my info and let our insurance deal with it. She again refused and told me that I hadn’t hit her car but that I needed to “be more careful.” Her story kept changing and she didn’t want to exchange info so I told her to have a nice day and drove off. My dash cam, as it turns, got unplugged so I don’t have footage of the incident. There’s no damage on my car at all and she never claimed damage on hers and I called my insurance and called the non emergency line and explained the situation. None of them seemed concerned but I just have this bad feeling about her and the situation. Should I file a police report?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I wouldn't worry. I think putting what happened on paper in case you have to recall it in the future makes sense. You did everything the law requires...and more.

If she does contact you, either turn it over to your ins co or set up a consultation with a private lawyer to deal with her or her lawyer to avoid it going to your ins co.

I don't think it will ever materialize.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.