Bloomfield, NJ asked in Employment Law and Contracts for New Jersey

Q: How can I get out of a 72,000 expense reimbursement contract from my employer?

My employer detailed a $6,000 a month x 12 month training cost that required 24 months of work upon completion of the program otherwise repayment for the uncompleted months. Research shows the training program used did not cost 72k and my training did not last 12 months, only the “orientation period” did. I want to breach contract for a different job with hopes of not owing this money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: More information is needed here - you should contact a New Jersey contract attorney to discuss your situation in greater detail. Repayment terms are generally enforceable to the extent they fairly approximate the value of what your employer paid for. However, the longer you've worked with the company post-training, the better position you'll be in to make an argument that the amount you owe should at least be reduced proportionally to the amount of time you've fulfilled under your agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.