San Diego, CA asked in Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Wrongful Death for California

Q: What to do when you have just found out you have only 4 months to file a big and maybe federal wrongful death suit?

My husband died, Navy, training accident. 2004. Found out about 10 years later, it was a lot worse than I was told. I wasn’t sure where to go to get help and I want sure of the statutes etc. I ended up finding out that our daughter can still file. Because she was so little when it happened, she has two years after turning 18 and before turning 20. His daughter, our daughter is 19, right now. The last few guys that sued for the exact same thing, and it no where near as bad and what they did to my husband and they got 45 million dollars. I just don’t know what kind of lawyer I need. This would be federal I think. Are there specific lawyers for that? and we don’t have much time left to spend it guessing. I just finally got the NCIS report about his death, it took all this time to redact all the national security stuff. Anyone please help with advice. We really just need to be pointed in the right direction. Please help. Thank you. Nadia

1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Find an attorney familiar with the Federal Tort Claims Act. Every case is different. How much someone else may gotten has no relevance to your daughter's claim.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.