Orlando, FL asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: Can my cousin press criminal charges for busting house window when he gave me permission to be in the house?

I used to stay with my cousin at my late aunt’s house. My stuff is still there. He is executor of my late aunt’s will and his wife, who he hasn’t seen in 2 yrs, lives in their home in CT. Cousin is hospitalized. Wife texted asked me to watch &help with dogs (@ late aunts). Cuz gave lawn boy key to house &instructed him to leave back open for me. After cleaning in the house I drove to store for food and more supplies. Upon returning, lawn boy walked out of house informing me cousin’s wife, who pays lawn boy, told him to lock up. I told her I still had critical meds I HAD TO HAVE, and she said too bad

It’s 10pm, pouring rain, I needed my meds so busted window. Deputy came, I proved I had permission to be there but at that point I decided to leave. Deputy secured house, watched me leave & I haven’t returned. Wife has it out for me and bully’s my cuz. I can see her trying to have me arrested for b&e. Can she?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: She can try, but it's a matter of who the authorities believe. From what you say, the cousin (who you indicate is executor), gave you permission to stay there, His wife also gave you permission, although arguably revoked the permission (which she probably had no right to do) when she asked the lawn boy to lock the house. The problem is that you broke the window to get the medicine; that is probably not a crime, but you might be liable for the damage to the window.

If the house is in Connecticut, why did you ask your question in Justia > Ask a Lawyer > Florida? it's a Connecticut law question.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.