Dallas, TX asked in Collections, Consumer Law, Education Law and Civil Litigation for Arizona

Q: School says the made "mistake" after sending me an enrollment letter and sent my grants to collections. what can i do?

I got accepted into a university, weeks pass and I get my grant to buy books and supplies. a short amount of time before the semester starts they say they made an "error" and put me in an earned enrollment program and cancel my classes not allowing me to reenroll in the current semester through the new program.

They then put a charge on my account amounting to the same amount as the grand and say I cannot enroll or access transcripts until I pay. I already spent this money on school supplies. being unable to give the money back they add $200 in late fees and ultimately send my account to collections ruining my credit and sending me on a path of financial ruin.

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: I'd advise you to do 2 things:

1. make an appointment with a lawyer who handles general civil matters, and take all of the documentation who have so the attorney can make a professional assessment of your situation. It may mean you calling around to everal lawyers and several appointments before you find someone. Some of it, or all it may be able to be done via telephone, Zoom, e-mail, etc., so you are not necessarily confined to Dallas (although I cannot imagine why you would have to look anywhere else).

2. There's no room for unbridled enthusiasm in legal matters. You are not on a "path to financial ruin", nor is your credit "ruined". Relax and find an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.