Sparks, NV asked in Tax Law, Divorce and Family Law for Nevada

Q: Can I claim our son on my taxes, who in our decree is supposed to be claimed by my ex husband?

My ex husband and I have been divorced a few years. We share 4 children. In our decree we each claim 2 of our children on our taxes. I have primary custody and he has visitations. This year our oldest son has stopped his visitations with my ex husband. He has solely lived with me since the first weekend of 2022. My ex husband does not help financially with our children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Generally speaking the parent who has primary custody claims the children on taxes UNLESS it has either been agreed or Ordered otherwise in the Decree.

If your Decree states that the father is to claim 2 of the kids then its best to follow the Decree to avoid being in contempt.

If you wish to have this changed due to the changes in your circumstances and avoid being in contempt, you may want to file a motion with the Court.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.