Sneads Ferry, NC asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for North Carolina

Q: Plumbing/water damage purposely hidden behind a piece of furniture wedged into closet by sellers, missed by inspector, i

Closed July 2021.

Sellers hid major damage, real estate agent was a young kid, making millions in a crazy market and largely uninterested n unresponsive to us small potatoes. He recommended we go with his inspector friend. We trusted all parties at the time. We discovered immediately several small missed items (burner not working, ants, etc) When we told our agent, he told us we "should be grateful" we even found a house, among other things. Fast forward to last month when we finally moved dresser out of closet and discovered a still dripping leak, rotted n missing sheet rock and who knows what internal damage. Claim denied by HOI. Now I need an attorney. To sue the seller, the inspector and maybe even DR Horton who built this piece of junk. The home was only built 4yrs ago. I'm in Holly Ridge between Jacksonville n Wilmington and not sure if I need local attorney or it can be handled long distance, but I need one fast, willing to take this on a contingency. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Attorneys are not allowed to say "I'll take your case" on this forum. It's not allowed. Start with local attorneys and gradually move further away. I must warn you that you have a duty to mitigate your damages. You have to pay for the repairs yourself, and then sue to get compensated. This type of litigation takes a very long time to resolve and is often unsuccessful. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.