Eagle, ID asked in Contracts, Tax Law, Business Law and Real Estate Law for Idaho

Q: How do I get copies of my HOA’s accounting records in Idaho if I suspect wrongdoing or incorrect bookkeeping?

I believe they are not assessing dues properly, misappropriating funds, in breach of contract for performance, and paying a bookkeeper that is incompetent inflated and unreported compensation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: I really enjoy questions like this because I champion the rights of home owners in an HOA. An HOA is kind of like being in the mafia, but instead of being a "soldier," treated with some respect, you're treated with disrespect and ridicule. You should get a copy of the HOA's regulations and read them. If they are in violation of their own regulations, the best way to handle it is by hiring an attorney to write a demand letter to the Board, advising them that they need to comply and to send you a copy of the most current, Regulations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.