San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: If I have a assault charge but completed deferred adjudication making it into a misdemeanor will I pass a background

I completed probation and also wanna know if I can get that charge expunged

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No. You only can get a charge expunged if it was dismissed without probation / deferred adjudication supervision, or, you were found not guilty at trial.

However, you might qualify for an order of nondisclosure - sealing the offense from public disclosure. Some offenses require a waiting period, and there are several that do not qualify. Talk with an attorney about your specific situation to see if you can get the offense sealed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.