Edgewood, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: I'm half way through a 2 year lease and the owner wants to sell. Do I have 60 days from when they say or from the sale?

The house is in harford county Maryland and this is in my lease:

" TERMINATION UPON SALE OF PREMISES. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Lease, Landlord may terminate this lease upon 60 days' written notice to Tenant that the Premises have been sold."

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It seems to me they cannot give the notice until after they have a signed contract of sale (signed by both them and the buyer). The date of the sales contract is the date the property sold, even though closing is at a later date. They are then required to give you written notice, and you would have 60 days after that, but you should have two complete months (meanng, if the notice was on the 15th of the month, but your rent is due on the first of each month, you should have the next two full months of the tenancy to vacate). You should clarify that with the landlord, and insist upon it. You may also wish to look up any local Harford County code provisions specific to residential leases to see whether there are any local laws affecting tenants rights in the event of a sale of the leased premises.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.