Honolulu, HI asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Hawaii

Q: Backing out of supermarket stall I bumped into someone behind. There was no damage.The lady said I dont know what to do

I told the lady there was no damage. There was lots of traffic backing up. I got back into my car pulled out and as I was moving forward the lady grabbed onto my cars driver side mirror almost pulling it off. I told the lady there was no damage get off my car. She let go. So I left thinking she attack my car again if I stay. I turned around about 15minutes later and went back. The police were there and I was cited for Hit and Run. Is there a way to fight this? State is Hawaii. Reg/license/Insurance all good. Also moving end of month to mainland. I dont know what to do. All court is done through Zoom though. Do I need an attorney or can I do this by myself?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Haiku, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: I recommend that you hire a competent attorney, or, if financial circumstances do not permit that, to apply for the services of a public defender. Depending on how you are charged, this is a matter which could result in the potential for jail time under these facts, possibly up to 10 days! While the imposition of a jail sentence by the court is not likely, there are collateral consequences which could include having points assessed against your license in your new home state, having to pay more for your auto insurance, or, having your carrier dump you as an insured.

This is a serious matter worthy of your attention. You have a right to a trial. Even if you elect to forego a trial, and want to “get it over with” a skilled attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor to reduce your charge to something that will not have a dire affect on either your driver’s license or your insurability. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me. Either way, I wish you the best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.