Detroit, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Michigan

Q: Do I have to go to a deposition if I didn’t receive a court ordered subpoena?

I won but my exhusband is suing me for his attorney fees in a civil case. I don’t have an attorney because I don’t have enough money for a retainer fee and legal aid said they don’t have the funding for my kind of case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you have been sued you MUST defend against the case or there will be a 'default' entered against you.

The facts you state here don't make sense. If the case is over ('you won') there wouldn't be the need for you to attend any deposition (If you lost there may be a 'debtors exam' but you claim that isn't the case so ....)

If the case is ongoing there may be depositions and 'the court' doesn't necessarily issue those deposition subpoenas so that doesn't matter.

YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO NOT HAVE an attorney. Please consult with a local attorney as failing to appear can be dangerous. Find a local licensed attorney on this website to review the paperwork and let you know what is needed. It may well be less expensive than you think.

Don't let 'I can't afford it' scare you. You don't know what it will cost until you show ALL the paperwork to an attorney to review.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.