Vineyard Haven, MA asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: Can I make a correction to my testimony in my divorce?

My husband said I put $50,000 in his IRA and I agreed with him in court but I only put $25,000 - I put $50,000 in our iras combined - is there a way I can tell the judge this - I am able to prove it - my laywer says no but that seems unfair

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: So was this at the divorce trial? If the trial is ongoing then I believe if requested by the parties they can jointly amend the record by stipulation or Motion as you apparently answered a question too quickly!! Perhaps a Motion to seek correction of testimony would work. If the trial is over and has already gone to Judgment doing this could be more difficult and it may not really be possible- your attorney would best know where this case is procedurally for the corrective measures to use.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.