Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri

Q: I want to sponsor my parents, I turn 21 in July. We currently live abroad, do I need to move back to the US?

I am a US citizen turning 21 in July and want to sponsor my parents, do I need to move back to the US to do so? Also my parents were denied a tourist visa twice, so the process will need to be done from the Uruguayan Embassy

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Al Parsad
Al Parsad PRO label
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Rohnert Park, CA

A: Eventually, you'll need to come back and establish democide in United State before the start of the second step in your process, which will be done at the Uruguayan Embassy. For the first step, however, here is the link to State Department's website with instruction on "Filing Immigrant Petitions Outside the United States." Happy 21st Birthday!,one%20of%20the%20addresses%20below.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: A US citizen over 21 years old can sponsor mom and dad for their green cards. At the interview you will be required to prove that you have taken concrete steps to move back to and make the United States your domicile.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.