Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Maya King

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on

Q: my fiancee is a permanent res. but he is in jail and they have him on an immigration hold, why?

Maya King answered on Apr 18, 2018

It could be a criminal hold if he was arrested. You need more information - contact ICE or an immigration attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Kansas on

Q: Being an immigrant trying to get certified to be a Citizen how long is the process?What are all the main steps?

Maya King answered on Mar 8, 2018

If you are talking about applying for naturalization, it can take anywhere between 4 months to 1 year depends on your jurisdiction. In Kansas City, it's generally pretty fast. However, it depends on the background checks and security clearance. You can file the N-400 on your own, or you could... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Traffic Tickets for Kansas on

Q: What should do I do to avoid any circumstances for two traffic tickets in my next appearance in the court?

I'm F1 visa student who just moved to Missouri from Kansas state and I couldn't get a driver license from Kansas City, MO since my visa has expired. Anyway, when I was a resident in overland park, Kansas City, I had two tickets. The first one for "failure to avoid a collision" and the second one... Read more »

Maya King answered on Feb 11, 2018

Generally speaking, not knowing the law is not a defense. You should seek a traffic attorney if you don't know what to say in Court. I will also seek the advice of an immigration attorney to fix your F-1 Out of Status as soon as you can. It is not a good idea to drive without a driver's license.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Kansas on

Q: Are citizens expected to report to authorities for an "anchor baby" situation?

We know a couple who arrived just a week ago and the wife is fully pregnant (8 months, at least). At least, the wife is going to stay here until the end of March. What (if any) should we do? The husband, who just arrived with her, is heading back home in two days on some family emergency in Dubai... Read more »

Maya King answered on Feb 8, 2018

It depends on her visa status. She can apply for an extension if she needs to stay longer. You should talk to a lawyer to make sure all your questions are answered.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Kansas on

Q: Charged with public intoxication. I paid fine and complete the PDP program. How would that affect my green card renewal?

It was my first criminal offense. I was never arrested. I just had to go to the court and pay the fine. If I didn't do the PDP program, I would have had a hearing and presented in front of the judge

Maya King answered on Feb 7, 2018

You should have all the paperwork ready and disclose honestly on your green card renewal application. See an attorney if you are not sure how to do it. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Kansas on

Q: Dual Citizenship: German and American

I am German Citizenship and am applying for US Citizenship right now. I just found out that the moment I accept the US Citizenship I will automatically loose my German one UNLESS I applied and received a retention permission from Germany before I accept the US Citizenship. I just applied for that... Read more »

Maya King answered on Feb 5, 2018

You are not a U.S. citizen until you have been sworn in. Even after you pass the interview, you cannot call yourself a U.S. citizen until you receive the naturalization certificate. It's common to reschedule interviews or oath dates, people travel, get sick, etc. However, failing to appear more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on

Q: My friend has a green card - are there any restrictions for her leaving and

then getting back into the country for a rafting trip we're planning in Argentina?

Maya King answered on Jan 26, 2018

There shouldn't be any. Unless there are any outstanding criminal charges or warrants for her arrest. She needs a valid passport and a valid green card to travel.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on

Q: Can i leave for my home country before my court date for a crime? My lawyer is representing me.

My F1 visa was terminated in September because I stopped going to school as i had financial issues. I was illegal for a while and was planning on leaving the country but I got arrested for some felonies in November and was in jail for 2 months. One of my case was dismissed but for the other one my... Read more »

Maya King answered on Jan 24, 2018

If you leave the U.S. before resolving the charges, the court may forfeit your bail and issue a warrant for your arrest - which could complicate things for you in the future if you want to come back to the U.S. You should consult with your criminal attorney and an immigration attorney to avoid... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on

Q: Hello, if I as a Russian green card holder go to visit Europe on a Schengen Visa

Is there a chance I won’t be let back into the U.S. considering the current political situation

Maya King answered on Jan 23, 2018

It depends on your current status in the U.S. If you have valid U.S. status and a clear U.S. immigration history, short visits abroad should not affect your ability to return. If you have particular concerns, you should consult with an immigration attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Texas on

Q: My Husband is from El Salvador and we want to apply for residency. I'm a US Citizen, What would be the process for us.

We have a daughter together and are expecting our second child. Will he get sent back to El Salvador?

Maya King answered on Jan 17, 2018

This depends on a lot of things, for example, how did he enter the U.S., etc. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to process the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on

Q: No passport how do I get stamp for proof to work and get drivers license. Have old expired green card. Waiting on I90

Maya King answered on Jan 17, 2018

You shouldn't need proof on the I-9s simply because your green card expired. Your permanent resident status does not expire. Only a judge can take it away.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Kansas on

Q: Getting married soon but wife and I won't live together until September. Need to file for a green card. Currently on H1B

Since we won't be living together until September, should I submit evidence proving our marriage is in good faith when I file for the green card in February? I am currently on an H1B visa.

Maya King answered on Jan 17, 2018

You should always submit evidence of your relationship and supplement it. If you are unsure about what to do, your should contact an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.