Q: It’s been nine months since I filed a homeowners insurance claim for 2 partial loss home fires. They sent an adjuster ov

Over nine months ago. Now I guess my adjuster quit and they closed my file even though my contractor was communicating back and forth with the adjuster that quit and they want to start over from square one and send a new adjuster over to evaluate the damage. Isn’t there a time limit on how long they have to send an adjuster out. The first one did a horrible job he’s only there for 20 minutes didn’t assess anything really. And also isn’t it a bad faith practice to not conduct a thorough investigation of the damage caused from the fires.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: "Bad faith," 2 words that lawyers enjoy bantering about and insurance companies loathe hearing. But, in Idaho, to show "bad faith," you must show that the insurance company's payment or treatment was "intentional" or based on gross negligence. Courts are fair when determining whether an insurance company is seriously negligent. If any delay on the part of your insurance company, causes you to lose your claim due to age, then you definitely would have a case for bad faith. Are you still insured through them? When was the last time you reached out to them? These are some questions the court would likely want to know answers to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.