Asked in Native American Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: I have native American blood but no Indian card is there a dna test I can take to show in court to have a state charge

Dismissed due to mcgirt ruling in Oklahoma? I've been trying to get indian card but it's a process my great great grandmother is full blood Cherokee but she passed away years ago so it's hard to get death certificate. How can I get her death certificate?

1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you have an attorney, your attorney can assist you in this. If you don't have one, you need one. Death Certificates are somewhat difficult to obtain unless you fall within the list of individuals to whom it can be released. The State Department of Health - Office of Vital Statistics is the state agency in Oklahoma that maintains Oklahoma Death Certificates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.