Q: What federal laws are broken when a court reporter refuses to hand in a transcript to a litigant?

Several court reporters are refusing to submit a electronic transcript to a litigant in an attempt to conceal a fraudulent court. The court reporters have made unlawful misinformation statements to the litigant and told them that they needed a lawyer for these transcripts, that they had to go to another district for the documents, and that the electronic version wasn’t available. They also stated that I must write to a judge to get the documents. What federal law have been violated?

2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: That's weird. A reporter must provide a requested transcript to a party to the case if the party pays the estimated cost up front, and an appropriate motion to the court may be made to seek relief. Which law applies depends on which court you're in.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I will start by answering your closing question, "What federal law have (sic) been violated?" Answer: None.

FYI, most civil trial court reporters are not paid by the court or the government for their reporting services. The litigants hire them and must pay them.

If you are involved as a defendant in a criminal case the government will give you a copy of the transcript(s) in printed form.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.