San Antonio, TX asked in Bankruptcy for Texas

Q: Can I file for bankruptcy and not lose my house?

My husband who was the only one bringing home a paycheck died 9/21/2022. I'm trying to sell my house, car and jewelry so that my son and I aren't without anywhere to live. I'm behind on the house payments because I simply cannot afford the $1700 a month payment. They will foreclose on me if I don't have at least one payment before the end of the month. If I am unable to sell my house and other things I and my son will be homeless. If I am able to file for bankruptcy, I will take whatever is left over to buy a much smaller much more affordable home. Is there any way that I can do this so that we won't end up homeless. Also, is there any lawyers that will do this pro bono or let me pay after my social security begins. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You may be eligible for bankruptcy depending on your assets and equity in your house. You should consult a competent bankruptcy attorney who can assess your entire financial situation. There are lawyers who may do this pro Bono or at a reduced fee. Contact your local bar association or legal aid society for a complete list.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.