Columbia, MD asked in Business Law and Contracts for Maryland

Q: Can a vendor unilaterally add a 3% cc fee if it was not contained in the original contract. Emailed change eff 1 Jan.

I signed a contract in state of MD):

If Organization wishes to pay any portion of its obligation by credit card, they may do so and request additional payments using the iVvy link provided to them when they received this contract up until 30 days prior to the event date. Once it is within 30 days prior to event date, payment may be made by cash, check or money order. TVR accepts the following credit cards: American Express, Visa, Discover, MasterCard, and Diners Card.

A final master account bill, containing receipts and other back-up information, will be e-mailed to the group within ten (10) business days of the Organization’s departure. Master account charges may be paid in the form of cash, credit card, check or bank transfer. There is a $35.00 charge for all returned checks. All master account charges not paid within 20 days of the billing date will bear interest at the lower of the rate of 2% per month, compounded monthly,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: An attorney would need to review the entire contract to render an opinion. However, a business can change the terms of its contract periodically. For example, Comcast changes the terms of its contract with its customers regularly. The rates and service charges increase and the fine print changes. The customer does not have to continue with Comcast.

If the contract is for a set period of time, then one party cannot unilaterally change the terms. If the Orioles sign you to a guaranteed three year contract, they cannot terminate the contract after one year and refuse to pay you or change your annual salary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.