Westlake, OH asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Ohio

Q: If I don't prosecute my offender can I ask for compensation for my mental and emotional distress?

I live in Cleveland Ohio, I teach at a Middle School, one of my students threatened me (he wrote a hit list with my name and several other students' names with the intent of physically harming us) I filed a police report. Now the detective is asking me if I want to prosecute or not? I will have to contact the Juvenile Prosecutor if I decide to prosecute. If I don't, can I ask for compensation for emotional and mental distress caused. I left my teaching job, because I don't feel safe.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You could file a civil lawsuit against him instead of pursuing a criminal case. But if you choose to do so, expect the defense to note that you did not pursue criminal charges and argue that shows it wasn't a big deal.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.