Levering, MI asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: We own our own home and land. We are in our 80's. What I want to know is what do we have to do to put our daughters name

didn't let me finish to put our daughters name on the place.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris
  • Dexter, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The simplest way is to execute a quit-claim deed to your daughter as grantee. However, you should consult with an attorney to explore the options available. Do you intend that she own the property outright, immediately? Do you intend to co-own it with her until your death so that she takes title as the survivor? Another option is referred to as a "ladybird deed" which keeps you in control until your death, and passes title to her upon your death.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.