Woodland Hills, CA asked in Divorce, Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for California

Q: What asset protection is available for a single individual planning to buy real estate with a married individual ?

To what extent does it matter which state the property to be purchased is in, if the unmarried individual lives in community property state while the married person resides in an equitable distribution state? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie King
Julie King
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your question seeks an answer that’s much more comprehensive than a lawyer can provide in this forum. Are you seeking to protect your portion of the real estate only or do you want to protect all of your assets? If the latter, what other types of assets do you own? (Trademarks are protected differently than household furniture, for example, yet they are both assets a person could own.) Assuming you are in California and only want to protect your real estate, one option may be to set up a limited liability company (“LLC”) and put your portion of the real estate into your LLC. Putting real estate into a revocable trust (one that you control and can change at any time) does not protect the property from creditors. But putting property into an irrevocable trust (one that you do NOT control and cannot change when you want) could protect it from creditors. As you can see, this issue is what estate planning lawyers deal with after detailed discussions with clients, so it is difficult to answer without more information. I hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.