Katy, TX asked in Real Estate Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: Recover paid fees from Law Firm in Tx not communicating , filing motion, adhering to court process .Appoint new attorney

I paid over $14k ($7k attorneys hours $2k paralegal plus $5k internal reviews admin fee ) for a specific performance case filed in Jul 2021. Now the Law Firm want me to file motion of summary & no evidence judgment as Pro Se in realestate deal

I am plaintiff and buyer filed petition for specific performance requesting court to order defendant to close the and transfer the deed

Seller breached by not showing up at closing over 2 times after waiving all repairs .

Defendant filed Affirmative defense stating plaintiff has coerced, misrepresented, fraud, duress fabricated deal.

Defendant has leverage plaintiff's cash deal to mitigate the risk of loss rent, listing cost, repairs over $20k and now leased the property at higher rent,

We are not seeking monetary damages need home to live in and for growing family need

I am seeking sincere attorney or law firm to help me out with lease cost and win the case .

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you’ve only paid $14K atty fees in that type of case after 15 months of litigation, your current law firm is doing a bang up job in keeping your litigation costs low.

If they are recommending you file a no evidence motion for summary judgment, the timing seems about right as the discovery period should have ended or be near ending now. Although I don’t understand why they would want you to file it pro se unless you have an unpaid outstanding balance owed.

Penny Wymyczak-White agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.