Houston, TX asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Texas

Q: I was convicted of attempted murder in 2009 but employment background checks show a murder charge. Should I sue county?

The background check showing a murder charge instead of attempted murder has made it very difficult to find meanfull employment? Should I sue the county? I was released in 2012 and have notified them of this mistake. It is severely damaging my quality of life.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is pointless to sue the county as it is most likely immune from any civil damages in such a case.

I recommend you obtain certified copies of your indictment, any arrest warrant affidavits, and the order disposing of the criminal charges against you and provide them to any prospective employer. That way, they will have accurate information upon which to make a determination whether your criminal history is relevant to their employment decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.