Kissimmee, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: What can I do if my ex says she has a child that is mine but never let me meet them and has blocked me?

I was dating a girl and she suddenly broke up with me and there was no communication. After 6 months she contacted me to tell me she was pregnant with my child and I ruined her life and she wanted nothing to do with me. I have tried to get in contact with her to meet my son however she has blocked me. I do not really know if the child is mine but it has caused me emotional distress thinking I have a son whose life I cannot be a part of. If he is my son, I want to have a relationship with him. I live in Florida and she lives in Georgia. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The best way for you to force the issue is to bring a paternity case against her. You would probably need to go to court in Georgia where the child lives. Step one would be to request a DNA test and then go from there. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.