Louisville, KY asked in Car Accidents, Education Law, Juvenile Law and Wrongful Death for Indiana

Q: My 17 yr old son was convinced to move from his residence with his dad and nana in Kentucky to live with his girlfriend

& her family in Indiana. My son's father signed over educational guardianship to the girlfriend's grandma, as it was her property they had moved to. The same school initially told my son the school was his district based on his address. A week later they received records from the prior school & his schedule and had him start. They told him he would get his bus route that first day. That day they informed him there was no busses to his house and basically figure out how u getting home. I called the school and call never returned. So he just decided to ride his bike home from school, as the guardian refused to do anything for him. He was struck and killed on his way home from school exactly 1 wk after starting, his 3rd time biking home, on curvy country rd. Can the grandma be considered accountable for transport pertaining to school? Does the school have responsibility to put him on the bus closet to him, which was a few houses from his house, and also almost exactly where he died?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Your son's death was a terrible tragedy. That said, there is something wrong with the facts. "There are no buses to your home" CANNOT be reconciled with a bus stop a few houses down. Either way, his custodian (the girlfriend's grandma) is NOT responsible for his death.

There may still be a Wrongful Death action against the driver who hit him. Again, a terrible tragedy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.