Big Rapids, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Michigan

Q: I want to gift a piece of vacant property to my son. I want to do this while I am still alive. What are the tax liabilit

We would like to do this tax-free. He is married as am I. Is there a way to do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: There are several ways to do this and MANY wrong ways.

A Quit claim deed is one but you need to appropriately record transfer affidavits and report the gift properly. There probably won’t be tax due but depending on how you structure things a return may be due. The rules are complicated and beyond the scope of a public forum like this.

The best option is to consult with a local licensed attorney to insure you’re proceeding properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.