Franklin, MA asked in Family Law and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: My brother has filed for Informal probate of my Mom's Will without giving me a copy of the Will. Do I need a lawyer?

He is not trustworthy due to things he's done through the years. He is named as the PR in her Will only because he bullied her into it and is the oldest. I do know that she tried to make her Will specific and made sure that her estate would be divided equally between her four children

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua H. Bearce
Joshua H. Bearce
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If your brother filed an informal probate, then he had to file a copy of your mother's Last Will and Testament. You can request to see a copy of your mother's estate case at the Probate and Family Court. This will allow you to see the Last Will and Testament and obtain a copy of it. You may also be able to do this online. With regard to your question, if your brother is not trustworthy, then I would suggest that you get an attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.