Charlotte, NC asked in Employment Law for North Carolina

Q: Can my employer change my contract without consideration?

I live in North Carolina and my employer is based in Nevada. Part of my employment agreement includes a bonus and annual raise, but they have decided they will not fulfill these agreements and are demanding that I sign a new contract that does not include these terms and does not include additional consideration. I am being told if I do not sign, I will be terminated. Is this lawful, and what are my rights in this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: This is impossible for any lawyer to answer accurately without reviewing the complete terms and conditions of your employment agreement. This may also be governed by Nevada law, not North Carolina. You should take the entire agreement to an employment law attorney for review. In general terms, if the agreement says they are allowed to change the terms at any time, yes they can do this. If the agreement says it is for a specified time frame (for example until December 31, 2022) and they want you to sign a new contract with different terms starting after the current agreement expires, they can do that.

Lawrence Glasner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.