Portland, OR asked in Consumer Law, Bankruptcy, Banking and Collections for Oregon

Q: If my money is stuck in a merchant gift card, can I charge back on my credit card to get my original funds back?

I pre-ordered products from a merchant and place the charges on my credit card. The timeframe was taking too long so instead of receiving any product, the merchant cashed me out at a higher price then I originally paid, but paid me with his store gift card. The merchant has since been shut down by the FBI for running a Ponzi Scheme. The gift cards are now useless. Knowing now that issuing gift cards for purchases were all part of the merchant's Ponzi Scheme, does that void the gift cards? By law, can I chargeback my original transaction to get my money back?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You can try, yes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.